Tuesday 6 April 2010

It's election time again.

I've lived through a number of General Elections now and - despite myself - I invariably end up enjoying them.

Particularly as things move into the early hours and the results roll in from across the country.

I've covered a few too, most memorably for good reasons David Taylor's first victory in North West Leicestershire.

The low point was Blaby a few years back when it was the last but one consituency in the country to declare its result.

I was in that leisure centre in Enderby until 9.30am the day after polling day.

Apparently though, some spoilsports have dumped same-day counts and are going to wait until the next day.

I'll leave the proper politics to Jenny and David, who sit across from me.

But I'm guessing plenty of the people I speak each day will be wondering what the parties have in mind for the police.

Who will have reassuring words for Leicestershire Police Authority, which controls the purse strings here?

As we've heard before, it's struggling for money and is thinking the unthinkable - redundancies among civvy staff? Unison is bracing itself for up to 150 people losing their jobs.

Police officer recruitment has been frozen since late last year and that shows no signs of changing any time soon.

Officers on the frontline are starting shifts wishing there were a few more bodies around.

However, it seems all we're hearing is that the public sector is in for a rough time over the next few years, whoever wins come May 6.

By the way:

Ken Clarke was in the office earlier today. I was in the lift with him and I was bursting to say "Giant Steps. What a record."

But I didn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment