Tuesday 6 April 2010

Eating my words. Again. Well, partially.

I made a point of saying the other week that serious crimes against the elderly were rare.

Thankfully, that is absolutely true.

Well, relatively. Everything is relative, I suppose.

But, a couple of weeks after reporting the particularly nasty robbery which prompted those remarks, another one has come along.

Today, I went out to Oadby after the police told us an 81-year-old man had been mugged there.

The victim, who walks with the aid of a frame, was turned over in an alleyway at 3pm on Easter Monday.

What you would call broad daylight. On a no doubt busy bank holiday too.

Are these people making the point that they commit a crime wherever and whenever they like?

The old fella had just been to the shops in the Parade and he was walking home alone. A daily stroll no doubt, with his paper under his arm.

He was attacked from behind and pushed to the ground. Our big men then went through his pockets and took his wallet.

Shall we guess how much money he had with him? I'll go for a couple of quid.

We've not spoken to the victim because he's still too upset.

Bruised too, we're told.

As I walked around the part of town where it happened - near the Legion and St Peter's Church, should you know the town - I found myself thinking of my dad and his mates, who are in their 70s and 80s now.

I was scrutinising everyone under 40, wondering if they were the sort of people who could do a thing like this.

This was Oadby though. Everyone, regardless of age, looked to me like they ran a bank.

No comments:

Post a Comment