Wednesday 24 March 2010

This man was mugged for some tobacco and loose change.

Once again, criminals have shown how they can turn our stomachs when they put their minds to it.

This 67-year-old man was jumped when he let his dog out for a wander and a wee outside his home in Saffron Lane.

I've been up to his neighbourhood this morning and chatted to some of his neighbours, most of them in their 60s and 70s.

Understandably some of them said they were pretty scared but the overwhelming emotion was anger.

I don't know if my words amount to much on occasions like this, but I did point out that I've been covering the crime beat for some years now and I've only covered a handful of cases like this.

Probably three or four in eight years in fact.

The simple truth is that violence against the elderly is rare.

For whatever reason, robbery, assault etc are younger people's sports.

PS: Three people have been arrested in connection with this one. They've been released on bail while the investigation goes on.

No comments:

Post a Comment