Monday 10 May 2010

It's come to this - a strongly worded missive to the Telegraph.


Journalists are funny, picky creatures at times.

Most of us can be back-breakingly precious about the English language and how it's used.

We're like this because we should be.

I'm not above criticism for the errors I make, but I still make the bench for the fussy team.

I was reading an article on the Daily Telegraph's website today for a bit of background for something I was doing for the Merc.

I was astonished at the lack of care that had gone into its preparation for publication.

The words were all in the right order. In fact it was a good read.

But the punctuation was all over the place.

Anyway, I sent a quick e-mail to editorial at the Telegraph.

They may come back and say the punctuation went missing because of a technical glitch.

Or maybe, someone didn't know where to put their commas and apostrophes.

Despite my best efforts, my message ended up sounding like a fussy schoolma'am's end of term report on a must-try-harder pupil.

At least it was properly punctuated.

No comments:

Post a Comment